Lionel Smit was born in Pretoria, South Africa in 1982, he started developing and exhibiting straight after art school at Pro Arte Alphen Park. He now lives and works in Cape Town. He is best known for his contemporary portraiture executed through monumental canvasses and sculptures.
Smit exhibits locally in South Africa where he is considered one of the countries youngest investment artists. He is currently exhibiting and on art fairs in Amsterdam, Germany, India, Miami, Monaco, London and Hong Kong. Over the past 10 years he has established a substantial international following with collectors ranging from the Standard Chartered Bank to Laurence Graff Art Collection at Graff Delaire wine state.
Smit’s painting has been exhibited at the National Portrait Gallery, where it received the Viewer’s Choice Award, as well as selected as the ‘face’ of the BP Portrait Award 2013 for all campaigns. He was recently honoured with a Ministerial Award from the Department of Culture for Visual Art and a highlight of his career has been the publication of one of his paintings on the cover of Christie’s Auction Catalogue.
- 'Artnet Asks: Painter and Sculptor Lionel Smit,' Artnet, 2014
- 'A Minute with Lionel Smit,' Elle Decoration, 2015
- 'How Women from the Cape Malay Community Inspired Lionel Smit's Art,' Khaleej Times, 2017
- 'South African Artists Abroad,' SA Art Times, 2016
- 'Anywhere but here?' SA Art Times, 2016
- 'Empire Building,' Harper's Bazaar Magazine, Nov 2016, pp 206-208